Nylon 6 – Properties and Uses
Properties of Nylon 6
Nylon 6 is produced in two main types: regular for textile applications and high-strength for industrial uses. It is commonly used in filament yarns and staple fiber yarns for various products such as upholstery, ropes, carpets, automotive and industrial cords, apparel, seat belts, and even parachutes. The wide range of applications is attributed to Nylon 6's combination of properties, including flexibility, hardness, toughness, and resistance to warping.
Regarding weather resistance, Nylon 6 is highly resistant to weathering, even when uncolored. Its outdoor performance can be further enhanced by using appropriate pigments, with carbon black yielding the best results. Thin products that will be used outdoors need a high carbon black content to maintain their strength, and moldings with a significant proportion of carbon black can withstand exposure to extreme conditions.
Nylon 6 is also suitable for medical applications. Its use in dilation catheters is advantageous as it possesses high burst strength and is not prone to buckling or bursting. It is not damaged by bodily fluids, does not release harmful substances, and does not cause inflammation in the skin or tissues. Certain grades of Nylon 6 have been approved for contact with blood, enabling their use in blood transfusion settings.
Uses for Nylon 6 in Manufacturing
- Textiles and Apparel: Nylon 6 is widely used in the textile industry for producing fabrics, including clothing, sportswear, hosiery, and carpets. Its strength, durability, and ability to retain shape make it suitable for these applications.
- Automotive Industry: Nylon 6 is used in manufacturing automotive components such as engine covers, fuel tanks, tubing, and connectors. Its strength, heat resistance, and chemical resistance are beneficial in these applications.
- Electrical and Electronics: Due to its electrical insulation properties, Nylon 6 is utilized in the production of electrical connectors, switches, circuit breakers, and cable ties.
- Industrial Components: Nylon 6 is employed in various industrial components like gears, bearings, rollers, pulleys, and conveyor belts. It is wear resistance and toughness are advantageous in these applications.
- Packaging: Nylon 6 is used for producing films, sheets, and molded containers for packaging purposes. Its durability and ability to withstand temperature variations make it suitable for this application.
Nylon 6 & More Plastic Fibers Available | Plastic Service Centers
Nylon 6 is very versatile and can be used in a variety of industries to reap its benefits. But Nylon 6 isn’t its only form. It can be modified into things like Nylon 6/6 to further increase the range of possibilities for different uses and benefits. At Plastic Service Centers, we can offer you as much Nylon 6 and other types of Nylon as you need. We carry over 4 million pounds of plastic fiber inventory at any given time throughout our distributed warehouses. These warehouses, strategically located around the U.S., allow us to ship quickly to anywhere in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico so you can get your order filled when you need it.
To learn more about what we can do for you, give us a call at (888) 447-5278 or fill out an online contact form today!